Tuesday, 16 October 2012

The Birth of Sabali


It was a long, scenic road to birthing, the girl Sabali, like her name (meaning Patience) implies, is in no rush. I knew her time was nigh, so I drank raspberry tea AND raspberry smoothies just in case

Contractions began immediately, were about 10 – 13 minutes apart. “It might be 08 October” I tell her daddy late night on the 7th. I quickly get a belly cast done the next day knowing I won’t have this belly for long. The contractions stayed that way for the next day and the next (9th), I concluded I was having “prodromol labour” (damn u Google!) and should just forget about it, it’s going to be couple a days

That evening, just before midnight I realise they are more intense, I time them, 5 minutes apart – “that’s cool, but I still have a long way to go”, so I chill. I am in my bedroom, the house is full and no one knows I am experiencing what I am experiencing (I don’t want to risk any dramatics)

It’s the day we’re doing a Purpose meditation led by Rakhem Seku as part of the CN28 system, normally I can’t attend because of the time difference, but this time, I had something to keep me awake at 3h30 in the morning! He leads us through the meditation - so beautiful! I leave my body, travel in space, swim in the waters of the ocean before receiving gifts and assurance. What a beautiful gift for our birthing!

When we finish it is around 4h30am, to me those contractions seem to be in one place. So I say eff it, let me sleep, I’ll wake up and deal with this when my birth companions get here later. I slept, intermittently. I would half-wake-up to breathe through a strong contraction, but I was asleep - I got lucid dreams, and couldn’t believe time had flown by so fast.

My daughter Aza woke up and saw me breathing through a heavy contraction, I threw up. I think she guessed what was happening. I said to her as she got up, “don’t tell anyone I am like this”, she nods, looking at me with her big beautiful brown eyes.

I knew my birth companions would be arriving at 09h30 for their appointment with me. Phone rings “Hello Bongeka, we by the gate”, the girls and my ma open for them. “How are you”, “I think I have been labouring”, I say.

Rosalia suspected a stomach bug, but I got a contraction, Sue looked at me once and said she thinks I am in labour. She checks, “Bongeka, you’re 9cm dilated, the baby’s head is here, feel it!” I feel it. I get up, that’s when I feel full in my lady garden, I realise she’s right. Rosalia prepares the bath. I get in. Oooooooohhh, that feels so good!!!! I have to breathe through the contractions, they are intense. They are at my back, thighs and flow to the front. 
Rosalia is wonderful; she massages my lower back bringing relief, while she keeps me smiling and even giggling in between contractions. Her and Sue are both so tranquil, I feel them. They talk to the girls, and give me confidence.
“I have to push” I think to myself. I need to get her out; she is heavy on my doorway now. I give a few gentle pushes, it’s such a wonderful feeling, I feel different contractions now, now there are contractions inside my vagina as well, they are uncontrolled and feel sporadic. I feel her move down. I feel full inside. I let out a roar. Sue pulls her shoulders, next thing I feel is the body sliding out. I turn around; there she is in the water. I can’t believe it. She frees her voice – big yell!! I realise we had a gentle birth.
Wow. That’s all I could say. Wow.
Welcome. I see you! What took you so long? Wow. She’s beautiful. Wow.
I move the cord, “another girl”; I am overjoyed, like I completed a marathon. I made it!




Placenta brings more contractions. It’s soon comes out. They take baby out to the bedroom, girls follow. Rosalia baths me. I feel in the water for the blood clots, I take them in my hand; they interest me, their feel. I look at them, a bright red sheet, thick, almost jelly like! It looks amazing!

I get out, I see her again. So beautiful!
Her father received her name during the pregnancy, and it rings true. Her name is Sabali.

No comments:

Post a Comment